The Southampton Historical Museum has an active year round internship program available to high school, college, and graduate students. Our internship programs introduce students to a profession choice in the humanities by participating in multifaceted, meaningful, and energetic museum work. The following positions are available based on the talents and interests of the intern: Docent, Public Relations, Curating Assistant, Collections Assistant, Education Assistant, and Administration Assistant.
ACCEPTING INTERNSHIP APPLICATIONS FOR FALL & WINTER 2014
ACCEPTING INTERNSHIP APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2015 – Help us celebrate our 375th Anniversary!
For more information or to apply please email Emma Ballou, our Curator & Registrar at email@example.com.
Thomas Halsey Homestead
This rare “first period” house was built in 1660 when Main Street, in the pioneer hamlet of Southampton, was first laid out. Its owner, Thomas Halsey, was one of the original families who bought property from the Shinnecocks in 1640. Believed to be the oldest English-style house in New York State, the Halsey home is filled with 17th and 18th century furnishings, donated by local families. The kitchen has an early wide fireplace used for cooking and is surrounded by open hearth cooking tools. The collection of William and Mary furniture is of note as is a high chest, circa 1700, by Nathaniel Dominys, a local cabinetmaker. The first restoration was supervised in 1959 by Henry Francis duPont of the Winterthur Museum. In the backyard is a Colonial revival-style garden that replicates an 18th century herb garden, a perennial border and an apple orchard.
This is the only trade shop built in the 1600s in America that has been in continuous use and in its original location. Originally a dry goods store, it was purchased in 1717 by Francis Pelletreau who immigrated to Southampton from New York City to develop his business producing oil and candles from whales that drifted to Southampton beaches. His grandson Elias Pelletreau occupied the building between 1750 and 1810 making jewelry, shoe buckles, tankards, silverware, etc. His son, nephew, and grandson continued the tradition of silver smithing into the 19th century. The shop is now occupied by Master Jeweler Eric Messin who gives tours of the building and conducts workshops in jewelry making.
In 2012 the Rogers Mansion Museum Complex, with 12 historic buildings, was awarded a unique designation on the National Register of Historic Places. William Rogers purchased the property in 1648 which was owned by a Rogers descendent until 1880. In 1899 the dwelling was purchased by Samuel Longstreth Parrish; an attorney from New York City, summer colonist, and founder of the Parrish Art Museum. Later, in 1952 the Southampton Colonial Society leased the house and grounds and began restoration. The house is filled with furnishings donated by members of the Southampton community and date mostly from the Victorian (1837-1901) and Edwardian eras (1901-1910). On the grounds behind the mansion is Old Southampton Village with historic structures collected from different areas of Southampton. They include a 19th century paint store, a blacksmith’s shop, a cobbler’s shop, a one-room schoolhouse, and a colonial era barn that was seized by British soldiers to lodge their horses during the Revolutionary War.